walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I need to put in a knee wall in attic , because roof rafters

Customer Question

I need to put in a knee wall in attic , because roof rafters have sagged over the 50 plus years the house is old . The span from ridge to outside wall is 16 ft..The inside barring wall has a 8 inch concrete block wall under it in the basement along its whole length. The outside wall has the same along its whole length . I can not put knee wall on top of ceiling joists because of interior plaster cove molding . Can I span the 16 ft. with wood beams , upsizing the beams so not to allow knee wall to touch ceiling joists , and how large would beams have to be . How many would I have to put in along 30 ft. distance. The ceiling joist are 2 x 8, the roof rafters are 2 x 8 , the pitch is 5/12 .So my idea is to put beams of 2x8 with a 2 x 4 build up at the two bearing walls , this way the beams and knee wall will be 1 1/2 inches from touching the ceiling joists. how many 2 x 8 would I need in each beam , that span 16 ft. and how many would I have to put in . That is if all this is possible I will be removing the roof plywood to do this . Then it's on to reroofing .................... . Thanks
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only what to ask one question , I don't need membership or mthly payments.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
Hello, how are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you. Do you have a sketch you can share?