Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

In a 3 story, 3650 sq ft 5 bedroom house, just developed a…

Customer Question
In a 3 story, 3650...
In a 3 story, 3650 sq ft 5 bedroom house, just developed a 2 mm wide crack across the entire concrete slab in the basement floor, and one far corner of the concrete slab has a thinner crack diagonally across the corner, with the back triangular corner section slightly depressed. ( We've had lots of rain this year in Wisconsin. ) Is a structural engineer the one to consult about this, and what do their services usually cost? If not a S.E., who would we call?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2015
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 3 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
HelloHow are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you.
Yes, a structural engineer is who you want to consult for this. It could be settlement from too much moistureHow old is the home?

Built in 1996

How long ago did you notice the crack?

It just appeared in the Spring. We had a relatively dry winter, for us, with not much snow. Very cold. Then a very wet spring. We are on the very edge of a marsh, near springs and a spring -fed creek that feeds into Lake Mendota, one of 4 large lakes here in Wisconsin, if that helps. Our house is the lowest in our development, in a bowl-shaped depression in a hillside.

Is the concrete exposed or you have a finished floor over it?

Exposed in this half of the sublevel ( not full, below ground basement. ) Other half is finished ( carpeted. )

The other possibility would be shrinkage cracking, but it doesn't sound like that is the case if it just developed after 20 years.It is likely having to do with excessive moisture and possible expansive soils or settlement due to the high moisture and then drying out.

Alright, thank you. We'll look for a reputable structural engineer to assess it.

No problem. I'm happy to help. Good luck with your project.
Take care.