Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I am replacing a raised porch 8'x12'-from the footing up 40&

Customer Question
I am replacing a raised...
I am replacing a raised porch 8'x12'-from the footing up 40". The roof is still there.
I want to use a first course 12" block with 3.625" brick veneer and 8" inside, filling the inside with gravel, and using a 4" roll lock on top to connect the veneer and the block which will serve as a frame for the concrete to be poured in the center. On top of the roll lock I want to use a 6" plate to serve as a wall plate as the porch will be enclosed using multiple windows. Can not understand how to use an anchor bolt that will work with a 6" sill plated on top. Can get one between the brick and the block it code will allow drilling a hole into the bock cavity filled with cement. Will this meet code.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
6/17/2015
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 3 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Can you post a sketch?
Structural Engineer: Miel-cssm,
 replied 3 years ago
Miel-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/structural-engineering/95f5k-replacing-raised-porch-8-x12-from-footing-40.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
The raised porch that I am repairing and want to enclose is 8'x12'. Current code will not allow an anchor for a sill to be placed between the brick and block behind it. The concrete slab comes up to the brick and uses the block as a ledge. The building inspector is asking for the anchor to anchor in the block similar to new construction.
I can not come up with a way to anchor the sill plate and use a 2x6 wall above.
3.625" brick veneer
.5 inch space
2" to cinderblock hole.
This would require a minimum of an 8" sill plate and leave the anchor bolt exposed on the inside similar to a garageI could offset the block every 6' to get the anchor but that would leave the plate resting solely on the brick veneer in between. Is this to code?
You can't support structure on top of veneer. That is unsafe