walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a 5' x 20' deck/balcony that is supported via engineered

Customer Question

I have a 5' x 20' deck/balcony that is supported via engineered 2"x8" I beam style wood joists. These joists extend out "cantilever" from the upper floor level of my house approximately 60" and are topped with 2"x6"x20' planks. The joists appear to never have had any protection form water or whatever can find its way through the slots between the planks. This house was built in the 1990's. Long story short they suffer from what I would classify as wood rot.
My question is I'm looking to repair/ replace the afore mentioned structure and would like to know best practices for trying to span 20' with support only on the four corners. This balcony is directly above a 20'x20' deck. I can add the required support beams through the deck to concrete pillars, but not sure of post sizing or beam requirements. I'm looking to keep the beam height to a minimum - the head room between the lower deck and the existing balcony is 8'. open to steel if that is an option.
Thanks,
Doug
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
Hello, how are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you.
Can you post a sketch of what you want to do?