Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

Home built bin 1925 has a main beam (Wood) sagging about 1

Customer Question
1/2 " . How should...
Home built bin 1925 has a main beam (Wood) sagging about 1 1/2 " . How should i jack up this beam? install new footings at least 4 feet below grade and use 20,000 lb rally jacks?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2015
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello, how are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you.
What is the size and span of the beam?
What is the joist length on each side of the beam?
Does it support any ceramic tile?
Is it supporting two floors and the attic?
Sorry I have hired a builder to do the work so I will not need your services
No problem. Just make sure he has an engineer or you hire one. Builders are not engineers and are not well versed enough with structural behavior and things like creep to handle this properly without guidance.
walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant