StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I have a stature at home and calculated it weights about 300 kg. the aluminium to hold

Customer Question

Hi, i have a stature at home and calculated it weights about 300 kg. the aluminium to hold this stature needs to be inside a white box of wood (73cm * 38 cm * 38 cm). Obviously the alu constructure needs to be within these dimensions (but then all length to be minus 1.5cm because of wood). Wondering how the construction should look like without too much complication to have this made. Any suggestion?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
Are you looking for how to build the box?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No just the alu stucture to fit in the box
Do you have sketches or pictures you can share?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will make for clarity. Come back to you later today.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HiCustomer
I attached 2 photos. In stature1.jpg you see the 300kg object that needs to stand on top of the rectangular prism (RP) shown in stature2.jpg. The top surface of the RP will have a dimension of 38cm squared. Length is 75 cm. The MDF wood has a width of 2cm.
Obviously, if I let the producer of the RP make this of wood without any support, the RP will collapse due to the weight. So my thought is that I need an aluminium construction to support the 300kg object inside the RP. The bottom of the wooden RP will be open so I can put the alu structure inside,
Hence the alu structure is limited by the sizes of the inside of the RP, being: 73cm height, 36cm width and 36 cm depth. Height of the alu structure must be 73cm but the width and depth not necessarily.
Question: how much alu do I need without risk of collapsing.
Does this make sense? Hope you can help me.
Kind regards, Aldo
Thank you. I will review the pictures and respond within an hour
So you need an aluminum structure I be houses within the white box, which will support the statue, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct
I think this can be made out of wood for less money
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok fair point. but then how? What type of wood? Stuff the box full or how do you see it?
You can use 2x6 studs and 2x6 “joists”. Each stud should have a full height stud and a jack stud next to it to support each “joist”. These should be spaced at 9” on center (minimum of 3 on each side) around the box, with 1” thick plywood on top. The sides should all be sheathed with ½” thick plywood.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Is it possible you make a small drawing? What type of wood is required for the king stud, jack stud and joists?
I can provide that as an additional service.
Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.