walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Please, can you help me finding an answer question for

Customer Question

Please, can you help me finding an answer for a question for which I don't have the solution. Can you tell me how to connect an aluminum roof canopy and a steel I beam.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain your configuration in a bit more detail?
Or do you have a sketch you can share with me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the aluminum roof is about 16 feet large by 26 feet long. On the 16 feet, I have 3 aluminum post both sides (east and west) under 2"x9" aluminum beam. In the middle of the aluminum roof , on the 26 feet long, I put a steel I-beam supported by 2 - 4"x4'x1/4" steel post and I need to know what type of connectors and isolation I need to consolidate the structure.
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
Your 2nd posted question was:
"I want to build an aluminum roof. I want to use 2"x2" aluminum post at the extremities and 2"x9" aluminum beam to support it. But in the middle of the canopy, I need an I beam supported by 4"x4"x1/4" steel post. now, I need to connect the I beam to the aluminum roof. That is exactly where I can't go further."
So you want to know how to connect the top of your steel post to your 2"x9" aluminum beam?
What is the shape of your aluminum beam, a standard I beam?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the aluminum roof is about 16 feet large by 26 feet long. On the 16 feet, I have 3 aluminum post both sides (east and west) under 2"x9" aluminum beam. In the middle of the aluminum roof , on the 26 feet long, I put a steel I-beam supported by 2 - 4"x4'x1/4" steel post and I need to know what type of connectors and isolation I need to consolidate the structure.The shape of the I-beam is standard. Now, I want to know what type of connectors and isolation to be used for the I-beam and the aluminum roof.
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
You want connection details for your steel post to a steel beam, or steel post to an aluminum beam?
Not sure what you mean by "consolidate the structure", can you expand on this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need connection details for the steel beam to aluminum roof.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need connection details for the steel beam to aluminum roof. Are you still there ?
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
Here is a weblink to a document that discusses the one piece and two piece clip connection details.
file:///C:/Users/Brad/Desktop/A%20to%20Z%20Section6.pdf
I hope this help.
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you have any more questions