How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 7256
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you calculate the necessary connectors (lag bolts) to

Customer Question

how do you calculate the necessary connectors (lag bolts) to make a beam of standard boards?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
This would require calculating the horizontal shear flow of the composite section at the interface of the two separate pieces and designing the lag screws to resist that force. The shear flow and lag screw design is quite involved. Do you just want the answer or do you need calculations on paper, too?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just how to
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
There are two components and they are both quite involved. First is calculating the required horizontal shear flow. Second is designing the lag screw capacity to exceed the horizontal shear flow demand. The equations extensive and you should have an engineering background to apply them. The general procedure is above. 1. Calculate the horizontal shear flow demand based on the individual pieces and your design load. 2. Determine the required lag screw diameter and spacing for your individual condition to exceed the shear flow demand.
If you would like all of the equations and an explanation for each, I can assemble this for you as an additional service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
equations and explanations will suffice.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
I submitted the additional service offer.