Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

What size beam would be appropriate .5 ft X 30ft "cabin"

Customer Question
What size beam would be...
What size beam would be appropriate for 39.5 ft X 30ft "cabin" with second floor with 2x6 exterior walls with floor joist on 16" centers 6/12 pitch metal roof trussed, 3/4" decking sitting on cement foundation?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/21/2015
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 3 years ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ
#1 The beam in the basement would be placed off center at 16' and 14' runs for floor joist to rest on, with three steel posts for support in center of the open area and resting on the foundation on each end.
Floor joist most likely 2x10's or i- joists on each floor of two story cabin with 3/4" decking.
Truss's(metal at joints) run from outside wall to outside wall, no off loading to interior walls.
Metal roof with 6/12 pitch roof, Moffat County Colorado location with inspectors 100lbs snow load for roof.
Truss span plan is at 34' for a 2' overhang.
Sorry for the delay in getting back with you.
Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.
I have a few questions:
1. So you wan a beam sized for the 39.5' direction and the beam will have 3 intermediate support post, thus making approximately 4 spans of 10' each, correct?
2. If the roof trusses clear span the 30 width of the cabin, then this beam in the basement will not be supporting any roof load or snow load, correct?
3. Will there be any storage or occupancy in the attic area?