How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask walkereng Your Own Question
walkereng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 2834
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
walkereng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a bias opinion but not sure if this is your expertise

Customer Question

I need a bias opinion but not sure if this is your expertise? I am in the process of buying a condo that is attached by one wall to another unit. The radon test came back elevated. The lab said anything above a 4 needs to be fixed. I am really concerned. Can it really be fixed and if so is there any guarantees that it won't continue to be high. The unit next door shares the same foundation. My gut says walk away but I need some sound advice. If this isn't your field can you refer me to someone?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 6 years ago.

walkereng :

I can help. Do the units have basements? What part of the country are you in?

walkereng :

I am going to switch over to the Q&A format. Just reply to the emails and we can talk that way. Thanks.

Expert:  Guests replied 6 years ago.

No basements and I live in Ocala, fl

Expert:  walkereng replied 6 years ago.
Yes this condition can be fixed. I would inquire about what kind of guarantee the contractor would provide that the work they do will actually reduce the Radon levels. I have worked with a home inspector in Virginia and he told me that all the projects he has worked on did reduce the Radon levels. The system they install will be some sort of physical barrier that will block the Radon intrusion and evacuate it from the living space. You can go to the following EPA link to get some good Radon information.
walkereng and other Structural Engineering Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  walkereng replied 6 years ago.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks