How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask José M. Your Own Question
José M.
José M., Attorney
Category: Spain Law
Satisfied Customers: 5985
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
Type Your Spain Law Question Here...
José M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, We are UK nationals. We are in Barcelona. My husband works

This answer was rated:

We are UK nationals. We are in Barcelona. My husband works in the UK for a university and will stay there. He will visit us during the holidays between terms and he also has some teaching at Barcelona University as part of a bilateral agreement between the 2 universities. However he will be paid by the UK. We have 2 children of 5 and 2would like to stay in Barcelona with the children and put them in a local school. I can work in B as an English teacher but will not do so until my 2 year old goes to school. Can I get permanent residence here given that my husband will be supporting us from the UK?

Attorney3044 :


Attorney3044 :

In order to get the permenent residence you will have to probe that you have income enough and a medical insurance

Attorney3044 :

As you get that you could ask for the permenent residence

Attorney3044 :

This kind of residence do not allow you to work

Attorney3044 :

But you will get it easily as you probe that your husband will send you money to support the family

Customer: Gracias. I can do that no problem but will the type of residence I get then allow me to send my kids to a local school here?
Attorney3044 :

The permanent residence will allow you to do so

Attorney3044 :

No problem with that

Customer: Gracias. We can show all of that. Will that type of residence then let me send my kids to a local school here?
Attorney3044 :

The permanent residence

Attorney3044 :

Check this web site

Attorney3044 :

The 060 its a call free telephone

Customer: Gracias. We can do that no problem. Will my kids be able to go to a local school here then with that residency?
Attorney3044 :


Attorney3044 :

Once youget the residence and you get the empadronamiento

Customer: How to ask another question?
Attorney3044 :

You could askme whatever in all moment

Attorney3044 :

Just in this line

Attorney3044 :

Even when you make a good evaluation you could open it again

Customer: So in Spain otherwise now temorary residence is only for 1 year even for UK nationals right? And this won't let you sendvthe kids to school?
Attorney3044 :


Attorney3044 :

The education in spain its compulsory over six years

Attorney3044 :

So they will be very easy to get a public school for the minors

Customer: She will be 6 in feb. But sorry Im still unsure...can i send her to school if i onlynhave temporary residence?
Attorney3044 :


Attorney3044 :

I dont think they make problems on you for that

Attorney3044 :

They will ask you for the empadronamiento

Attorney3044 :

You will get it in the City hall

Attorney3044 :

From 28 March 2007, Royal Decree 240/07 requires that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. However, you will no longer be issued with a residence card with a printed photograph. Instead you will be issued an A4 printed Residence Certificate stating your name, address, nationality, NIE number (Número de Identificación Extranjeros) and date of registration.

If you are an EU citizen with a valid residency card, you do not need to do anything until your card expires. On expiry you must register at the Oficina de Extranjeros or designated police stations. More details can be found on the Spanish Ministry of the Interior website (information is in Spanish) and follow the links for extranjería.

On 10 July 2012 the Spanish Government introduced details of the new residency requirements for all EU citizens, including British nationals.

Under the new rules, EU citizens applying for residency in Spain may be required to produce evidence of sufficient financial means to support themselves (and dependants). Applicants may also be asked for proof of private or public healthcare insurance.

The Ministerial Order sets out the new residency requirements and some of the documentation applicants may be asked to present. We have created an unofficial translation of the Ministerial Order.

Please note: This translation is provided by the British Embassy with the intention of assisting English-speaking EU citizens to understand the new residency requirements. The British Embassy can take no responsibility for any errors or differences between this and any future official translation, nor for any inconvenience or expense caused by any error or difference


All EU citizens planning to reside in Spain continue to need to register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros (Foreigners Office) in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. More information is available on the Ministry of the Interior’s website.

Where to apply

You should apply in person within 3 months of entry into Spain at the Oficina de Extranjeros in your province of residence. You will be asked to present a valid passport, complete an application form and pay a fee. Spanish bank accounts

If you have a Spanish bank account but do not live in Spain, you must register with the Spanish authorities. Residencia (registration as a non-resident) needs to be renewed regularly.

Non-EU family members

There is also provision for non-EU family members, who have entered on valid passports and visas (where required), to reside with EU citizens, providing they too register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros or designated Police Stations within 3 months of entry. They will be issued with Tarjetas de Residencia de Familiar de Cuidadano de la Union (Residency cards for family members of EU citizens). Additional documents will be required.

Further information

You can obtain further information from either:

• The Ministry of the Interior’s webpage on procedures for EU citizens; or • By calling the Ministry of the Interior’s Immigration Directorate helpline on any of the following numbers: (+34) 91(NNN) NNN-NNNN (+34) 91(NNN) NNN-NNNNor (+34) 91(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Withdrawal of Residence cards in Spain

The decision to withdraw the Residents Card is in line with the EU Directive 2004/38/EC on the freedom of movement within the EU. We are aware that this has caused inconvenience to British Citizens living in Spain. We can assure you that we have raised the matter with the relevant authorities both in the UK and Spain however ultimately this is a matter for the Spanish government.

At present the only legitimate form of ID for British Citizens that is recognised by the Spanish Authorities is the British passport. For making payments at shops and stores you may find that a photo driving licence or certified copy of your passport is accepted. However, please bear in mind that there is no obligation to accept either of these forms of ID, and you may be asked to show your passport instead. UK Identity Cards

The Identity Card Bill received Royal Assent on 21 December. This means that identity cards ceased to be valid from midnight on 21 January 2011. If you are currently travelling overseas using an identity card and don't have access to a valid British passport, you will need to make arrangements to obtain a passport to continue your travel. You can either renew your last passport or, if you need to travel quickly you can apply for an emergency travel document at your local British Embassy or Consular Office. If you cannot access the internet from your home, office, hotel or internet café, then please contact your nearest British Embassy or Consular Office for further advice.

If you have travel plans and don’t currently have a passport, we advise you to apply for a passport now by phoning the Passport Service's advice line on +44(NNN) NNN-NNNNbetween 7am - 11pm seven days a week or visit their website.

If you are currently in Spain for a long period using an identity card and don't have a valid UK passport, please visit our passport section for further information

Customer: Ok. Do you think it is better to get temp residency go to school and then after 1 year maybe i will work for an an ex colleague of my husband and have a proper contract and then get permanent residency...or it's better to show that he can support us all and get the permanent residency from the start.. But then i guess i can never work verdad?
Attorney3044 :

I think you will have no problems if ask for a labour visa

Attorney3044 :

You could work in spain as easy as spaniars in UK

Customer: You know what you just says they withdrew residents card anyway? Does that mean I can't get NIE?
Attorney3044 :

Please to make a good evaluation of my service

Attorney3044 :

Thank you

Attorney3044 :

If you have mor doubts I will be here to answer them

Customer: Gracias XXXXX XXXXX ayuda. Feliz ano nuevo
José M. and other Spain Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Spain Law Questions