South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I have an 11 year old boy. My child and another child are to…

I have an 11...

I have an 11 year old boy. My child and another child are to have a disciplinary hearing at their school on Monday. The other child's name is ***** ***** be mentioned because he/she is in Fostercare. Because of this, they will allow my child to have the hearing in abstentia. I would like my child's name protected but the school says that they cannot do that. Can the school use his name if I am not present at his hearing?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I have not taken any steps. I don't want a court case, I just want my child name protected and to know what his rights are

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I'm in Gauteng, South Africa.

Answered in 2 days by:
8/6/2018
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

The school must follow proper procedures in matters like these. You can read here what the guidelines are in Gauteng.

At least one of the parents has to be present at the disciplinary hearing.

I am not sure how the other child's or your child's name is "not to be mentioned". Their names will have to be mentioned as one cannot have a disciplinary hearing against an unnamed person.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Thank you for the reply. I spoke to the school and they are going to call them child x and child y. There names are ***** ***** form but they won't be mentioned in front of the school governing board not will they see the child's statement. All they will know is what the child's charges are and they will decide on the appropriate corrective action.
Thanks

OK, so there will not be a "disciplinary hearing" where the children will have to appear at.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. I hope I can be of assistance to you again in the future.

You may request me personally.

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-fwlombard1/

Regards

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I think that it's only fair to leave a comment. The question was answered but not fully. I would have preferred the legal advice as well as some advice on how to protect my child. I did manage to sort something out with the school though and you did answer some questions. Thank you

Your comment is highly appreciated.

As mentioned in my answer, you are more than welcome to ask further questions if you need more details or if you want more information.

Regards