South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I own a company that employs one employee. When the company…

Customer Question
I own a company...

I own a company that employs one employee. When the company was registered, I was under the impression that it was also registered for PAYE with SARS and I made deductions of PAYE from the employee. However, when I tried to file and pay the money over, albeit it was a late filing, I discovered that the I was not registered for PAYE and subsequently registered. The challenge that I have is that I'm unable to file returns for this deductions (PAYE). I have approached an accounting firm and they also can't help, they proposing that I pay the money back to the employee, my challenge is that I have already given him payslips and IRP5 as proof of the deductions. What is the best way of addressing this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I'm the owner of the company

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 8 days ago.Category: South Africa Law
7/11/2018
Lawyer: Freddie Lombard, Attorney replied 8 days ago
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

You will have to get a tax practitioner to help. You are legally responsible to "deduct PAYE AND to pay it over to SARS". I think it is bad advice to pay the money to the employee - he/she is not entitled to that money - you HAVE to pay it over to SARS otherwise the IP5's you issued will be fraudulent, and might land you in serious (and criminal) trouble.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards