South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I have been trying for the past three months to obtain a…

Please help. i have...

Please help. i have been trying for the past three months to obtain a Divorce Decree Or Divorce certificate to use as evidence of my divorce in 2005. I have the case number ***** date of the divorce BUT the high court (where the divorce was processed) lost the original decree. They tracked down the file in their archives BUT it was empty. What to do next?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Do you mean ....what steps have I taken to obtain a copy of the divorce decree?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I am a South African citizen

Answered in 1 day by:
5/14/2018
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

Thank you

Your only option is to contact either your ex and obtain a copy from him/her or otherwise from the attorney who assisted you with the divorce. The problem is that the attorney would most likely by now have destroyed his/her file as attorneys only keep records for 5 years.

The Court should also have electronic records and should be able to issue a re-issued divorce order from their electronic records.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Where do I go to get an electronic record? The divorce was done at the High Court (N. Tvl)

As I mentioned, the Court should have an electronic record. Specifically for instances like this when the original hard copies are lost or misplaced.

So, you must apply to the Registrar of the Court where the order was issued.

Please remember to rate the answer positively.

Regards

Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Thank you so much for the positive rating. I hope I can be of assistance to you again in the future.

You may request me personally.

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-fwlombard1/

Regards