South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

If an employee is retrenched after 29 years of excellence in…

If an employee is...

If an employee is retrenched after 29 years of excellence in several leadership roles , according to his work contract if he had joined the company before 1994 January would his medical health insurance fall away or should the individual be compensated up to the age of 65

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Discussed with HR and they responded by saying that the remuneration package included a gratuity sum for just 5 years.The emoloyee had just turned 55

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

This is a corporate multinational. The employee was a salaried employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The employee was promoted 6 months prior to retrenchment and upon his retrenchment his position was filled within a month of his departure.

It has been just on 10 years that this retrenchment was effected.The employee is now 66 years old and funding his own Medical Cover Approximately R3,600 pm. Prior to retrenchment the company paid 55% of his contribution towards Medical Cover.
See clause 13 of the employment contract on pdf file sent
This is the work contract highlighting the Medical AID ISSUE Clause 13
4/16/2018
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

What do you mean "it has been just on 10 years that this retrenchment was effected"?

Was the employee retrenched 10 years ago?

Regards

in March 2007

Thank you,

In that case the answer to your question will be a purely academic one, since any claim that the employee may have had would have become extinguished by prescription in March 2010.

In terms of the agreement (employment contract) employees have to pay for their own medical aid when they retire or their contracts are terminated. Unless the employment started prior to 1994 - in which case certain exclusions apply (upon retirement - nothing is said about retrenchment). Details of the policy regarding the medical aid contributions post retirement can be obtained from the employee resources division.

I do not know what those policies entail.

From what you have written however, the employer has the employee with more than what the contract requires in that they gave an additional 5 years gratuity upon retrenchment while the contract only provides for exceptions upon retirement.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
if i understand this correctly the employee has no recourse to challenge this beyond 2010 ??

Correct.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. I hope I can be of assistance to you again in the future.

You may request me personally.

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-fwlombard1/

Regards