South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Is it legal for rent to own vehicle rental company to

Customer Question
Is it legal for...

Is it legal for rent to own vehicle rental company to collect a vehicle at your workplace without any kind of notice

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in South Africa

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

No steps

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I signed a contract to rent to buy this vehicle, they debited my account on 23rd before we got paid and the agreement says 25th.... yet I had the money in my account until they collected the vehicle because I had to arrange other transport.... they also wanted a R3000.00 penalty fee, which I didn't have, I could only pay the instalment which was not taken again from my account. They apparently called me at the office and left a message. I didn't get, I send them an email the day before they collected the vehicle... now they say if i do not wish to go on with contract i must pay 20% of 54xR3750 payment.

Submitted: 7 days ago.Category: South Africa Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/13/2018
Lawyer: CaseLaw, Attorney replied 7 days ago
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your initial question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? I will come back to you shortly!

CaseLaw

Lawyer: CaseLaw, Attorney replied 6 days ago

Typically, in the terms and conditions, you agree that if you stop paying your monthly instalments then the rental company can come and fetch the vehicle without any notice.

Regarding the penalty, you'll also need to look in the contract. If it says that they are allowed to charge that, then they can.

Also regarding the debit order date, I think that you need to fight them on the issue. They can't just debit your account early if you've chosen a specific date. Maybe also you should change this date to 1st of the month, so that next time your salary will be in your account in time.

If my answer hasn't provided you with enough clarity regarding your initial question, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

CaseLaw
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney