South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Is a man allowed to marry unbder the civil law and customary…

Customer Question
Hi. Is a man...

Hi. Is a man allowed to marry unbder the civil law and customary law. The man is married to his wife under civi law and wants to take a second wife under customary law with the permission of his first wife, is this allowed? will the customary law be recognised

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has he taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?

No, not as yet. Negotiations for lobol for the second wife are currenly underway

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

I am in South Africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thats my only question

Submitted: 13 days ago.Category: South Africa Law
Answered in 1 day by:
4/13/2018
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 12 days ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Hi. I still need a reponse, I have paid the consultation fee
Lawyer: Christiaan K,
 replied 9 days ago
Christiaan K

Good day

I have noticed that your question remains unanswered for a very long time. I will try to assist you in answering your question.

Even though the The Recognition of Customary Marriages Act recognizes customary marriages in SA, neither party to a civil marriage will be able to enter into customary marriages with anyone else while they are married under civil law.

According to the website of the Department of Justice, the following requirements must be met for a customary marriage:

Requirements for a valid customary marriage
The general requirements for a valid customary marriage entered into after the commencement of the Act are as follows:

1. The prospective spouses must both be above the age of 18 years;
  2. They must both consent to be married to each other under customary law; and
  3. The marriage must be negotiated and entered into or celebrated in accordance with customary law.
  4. If either of the prospective spouses is a minor, either his or her parents, or if he or she has no parents, his or her legal guardian, must consent to the marriage. If there is no legal guardian, the Act provides for substitute consent.
  5. The parties must not be prohibited from marriage because of relationship by blood or affinity as determined by customary law.
  6. In addition to the above requirements, a husband in a customary marriage who wishes to enter into a further customary marriage with another woman after the commencement of the Act, must comply with a further requirement set out in section 7(6) of the Act, namely an application to the Court to approve a written contract which will regulate the future matrimonial property system of his marriages. Non-compliance does not render the subsequent marriage null and void, but will render it to be a marriage out of community of property. In the case of Mayelane v Ngwenyama and another (Womens’ Legal Centre Trust and others as amici curiae) 2013 (8) BCLR 918 (CC) it was confirmed that the husband must obtain the consent of the first wife before he may enter into a further customary marriage. Failure to do so will render the further marriages automatically as out of community of property.
  7. A party to a civil marriage cannot validly enter into a customary marriage with another person while the civil marriage exists.

I hope that I have answered your question.

Regards

Christiaan K
Christiaan K
Christiaan K