South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I'm a renter and need legal advice. I negotiated utilities…

Customer Question
I'm a renter and...

I'm a renter and need legal advice

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I negotiated utilities to be included in my monthly rent. The owner listed what would be inclusive. I signed the lease believing all had been included. Now I'm getting additional invoices on top of the agreed monthly rent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Sunninghill, Sandton, South Africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am a diplomat working for the UN

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
Landlord has two months deposit..
3/30/2018
Lawyer: CaseLaw, Attorney replied 3 months ago
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your initial question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

The first point that I must make is that you need to stick to the terms of the written lease agreement. THAT is what the parties agreed to, so if utilities are included in the rental amount, then they are included. If they are not included (i.e. the lease agreement says that you must pay for electricity / water separately) then the landlord is entitled to send you those invoices as proof and you must pay that.

BUT, if the written lease agreement does NOT accurately reflect the negotiations and the oral agreement, then you need to apply to court for "rectification" of the written lease agreement, OR you need to get the landlord to agree that the written lease agreement does NOT accurately reflect the negotiations and the oral agreement and then amend the written lease agreement.

Typically in South Africa, water and electricity is OVER and ABOVE the monthly rental.

For a landlord to agree to include those charges as part of the rental amount is, to me, a little strange. Especially since somebody can use thousands of Rands of water / electricity in a month and the landlord would then be expected to pay it himself.

If my answer hasn't provided you with enough clarity regarding your initial question, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw