South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I would like to know what permits/licences does one need to…

Customer Question
Good morning, I would...

Good morning, I would like to know what permits/licences does one need to have to become a gold delaer in SA?I am interested in exporting from DRC to import to SA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Congolese lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have spoken to a minerals lawyer in JHB and he promised to refer me to a Congolese specialist but seemingly he is battling to get hold of him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is it for now

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
3/30/2018
Lawyer: CaseLaw, Attorney replied 3 months ago
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your initial question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Before I start, please understand that I've answered over 100 questions like this, and I have ALWAYS been correct in my view. I've had dozens of people come back to me to thank me for the answer, because they've realised what is actually going on.

My concern is that you are getting yourself involved in a Gold Scam. Proceed with EXTREME caution.

Please remember that the GOLDEN rule in this situation is that whenever an upfront payment of money is requested before you can receive another BIG payment, or before your payment can be "released", you should take extra caution that it is a scam.

The scammers will send you (what looks like) original documents from some fake institution (pretending to be real), or will send you to a fake internet banking website as "proof" of your money that has been deposited into your account. It's all fake.

They will tell you that the transfer has gone through, and that you have paid to send the transfer, but will then invent a further charge relating to the receipt of the money, or dealing with Treasury or something like that.

They may even request that you pay them to complete a sworn affidavit of claim or a fact certificate so that you can issue the documents.

The so-called "419" scam (aka "Nigeria scam") is a type of fraud named after an article of the Nigerian penal code under which it is prosecuted. It is also known as "Advance Fee Fraud" because the common principle of all the scam format is to get the victim to send cash (or other items of value) upfront by promising them a large amount of money that they would receive later if they cooperate. In almost all cases, the criminals receive money using Western Union and MoneyGram, instant wire transfer services with which the recipient can't be traced once the money has been picked up. These services should never be used with people you only know by email or telephone!

This could include strange long distance relatives who have left you millions in their will, and all you need to do is to pay the bank charges (R10,000) to have the money released.

The victims are promised a fortune for providing a bank account to transfer the money to. Then - if they fall for the scam - they are made to part with thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars in "bribes" for local officials or other "fees" (taxes, insurance, legal fees, etc) before the "partners" finally disappear without trace.

Many 419 scams involve a fake lawyer (usually a person who calls himself a Barrister or claims to work for a firm whose name includes the word "Chambers").

An advance-fee fraud is a confidence trick in which the target is persuaded to advance sums of money in the hope of realizing a significantly larger gain.

You can have a look at this site http://www.419scam.org/419scam.htm for more information.

Please note: I am not 100% positive that this is a SCAM, but I can give you a 99.99% sure that if you did not enter the lottery, or initiate contact with this person, then this is most probably an advanced fee SCAM.

Depending in what information you have given these people, you might indeed be at risk of identity theft. It would be advisable to keep a close look at activity on you bank and credit card accounts and report any unauthorised activity immediately. If you feel up for it, it might be a good idea to change your banking details.

Proceed carefully, and as soon as they request money from you, WATCH OUT!

If my answer hasn't provided you with enough clarity regarding your initial question, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw