South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

If you are listed in safa how does it. Western cape. I was…

Customer Question
If you are listed...

If you are listed in safa how long does it

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Western cape

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I was listed becouse of a froud for debt councilor which am not aware of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I borow my boy freind a nedbank card .. Apparently he was doing a froud the worse part he from ... Ghana

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
I need to clear my name
3/25/2018
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Why they are delaying to answet
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 months ago
Hello again,
We can not predict or guarantee response time, just because the volume of questions, number of Experts online, complexity of questions, and other factors vary.
Thank you for your response.
Lawyer: Freddie Lombard, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

What do you mean you are listed?

Where are you listed?

Who listed you?

Regards

Am listed by sapfs from Nedbank in Westerncape
I borrow my boyfriend my banking card since he was struggling with the papers from ... Congo . And he used the account for personal use and then ... I was opening an account from fnb they told me am listed.
Lawyer: CaseLaw, Attorney replied 4 months ago
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your initial question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

The Southern African Fraud Prevention Service (SAFPS) is a South African company committed to combating fraud across the financial services industry by providing a shared database to member organisations and offering the South African public a means of protecting themselves against impersonation and identity theft.

Members (like Nedbank, or FNB, or Standard Bank) share information with SAFPS regarding any sort of attempted fraud, or identity theft.

I think that the reason you are listed on the SAFPS database is because your boyfriend used your details (perhaps your Name, or ID number, or ID book) to try open an account (or something like that) and this was picked up by Nedbank as an attempted fraud, and they listed you.

You need to contact them telephonically (0860 101 248) and request information as to WHY you were listed, and what you can do to have yourself removed from their database.

Unfortunately we (attorneys) can't make these enquiries on your behalf - we can just give you advice on what you should do.

If my answer hasn't provided you with enough clarity regarding your initial question, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

I went to nedbank they told me that , the was the money was deposited in my account. Someone was posing as a debt councillor and the people deposited money in that account

Was that money (that was deposited) withdrawn from your account?

If so, was it withdrawn by your boyfriend?

If so, the bank will argue that you were complicit with your boyfriend in the fraud and therefore you're partly to blame, and that you should therefore be listed on their database as a possible fraudster.

Basically, your "trusting" your boyfriend has caused this. Your boyfriend abused your trust, and now you've gotten yourself wrapped up in this.

That is assuming that you gave your boyfriend your PIN code (or whatever) to allow him to withdraw the funds.

Also, the bank assumes that you are in control of your account and that you are aware of all of the funds deposited and withdrawn. The bank assumes therefore that if funds are deposited and withdrawn then you KNOW of this and that you can then be held liable.

I'm afraid that it seems that the bank is will within its rights to list you on their database.

The only thing that I can suggest is laying a criminal complaint against your boyfriend, for fraud, or for using your bank account without your knowledge, and then armed with the police CAS number you let Nedbank know and ask them to remove your details because of the criminal investigation.

the money was withdrawn. He was using the card becouse he had a problem with the papers. Since he is coming from Congo
I trust him with all my life

Well, his fraud has created issues for your banking life.

Either accept the situation and stay with him; or get rid of him and report the matter to the police and get your banking life back.

He is no longer in the .. Country. He left yo .. Congo.
Then you must report him to the police like I said. Good luck!