South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

My wife and I are married put of community of property with…

My wife and I are...
My wife and I are married put of community of property with accrual. We sold a property we jointly owned and the proceeds were paid into an account in her name. Is the money in her account safe from my creditors if I am sued, for example
3/13/2018
Christiaan K

Good day

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you in answering your question today so please feel free to ask as many follow-up questions as you like until you are satisfied that I have answered your question.

The money is only safe if your creditors does not know about it. If they do find out, they can legally claim the money through the garnishee process described in Rule 45(12) of the Uniform Rules of Court which reads as follows:

"(12) (a) Whenever it is brought to the knowledge of the sheriff that there are debts which are subject to attachment, and are owing or accruing from a third person to the judgment debtor, the sheriff may, if requested thereto by the judgment creditor, attach the same, and thereupon shall serve a notice on such third person, hereinafter called the garnishee, requiring payment by him to the sheriff of so much of the debt as may be sufficient to satisfy the writ, and the sheriff may, upon any such payment, give a receipt to the garnishee which shall be a discharge, pro tanto, of the debt attached."

I trust that this answered your question.

Please be so kind as to rate my service by clicking on the relevant stars or smiley faces. If you do not rate my service, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively.

Kind regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought that marriage out of community of property protected one spouse from the other spouses debts?

Yes it does but this has got nothing to do with your matrimonial property regime.

You owned the property jointly and you are therefore entitled to 50% of the proceeds. The fact that the money is in your wife's account does not mean a thing. Even if it were held by a third party, a creditor could still get hold of it by following the process described above.

The facts are that the money is yours irrespective of who is holding it.

I know that this was possibly not the answer you were hoping for but please bear in mind that I am obliged to supply you with sound legal advice in accordance with the current legal position and that I am not able to change the laws to suit your case.

I therefore ask that you keep this in mind when rating my service and that you will rate my service, irrespective whether you like my answer of not.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. So what is the best legal way to protect that money from a creditor of mine should that situation arise in future?

Sorry for the delay in replying.

There is really not many legal ways to do this. If the money is gone, then it is gone even if it was wasted.

I suppose you can donate the money to your wife but then that donation can possibly be attacked by creditors on the basis of a disposition without value for a period of 6 months after the donation.

Also, nothing would prohibit your wife from refusing to give it back later if you want it back.

I am sorry but any other "advice" of how to prevent what you want to prevent will be unlawful and as such, I cannot supply your with advice on how to defraud creditors.

I hope you understand this and I would appreciate it if you would rate my service positively.

Regards

Christiaan K
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please can you call me tomorrow morning at 08h30?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually if possible could you call at 08h00 tomorrow?

Sorry, I have only noticed your request now and the offer have now expired.

I will gladly give you a call if you make the request again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I request call again?

Not sure how you did it the first time. I usually have a block that I can click on to offer premium services but the block is greyed out on my side. If you can confirm that you still want a phone call I can find out from the site administrators and get back to you a bit later.

Christiaan K
Christiaan K
Christiaan K