Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.

I would like to know if there are any laws regarding the

I would like to know if there are any laws regarding the length of time a marraige has been in complete separation?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Well, this is south african law, there would be no difference between areas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, nothing has been filed or reported, but it has been in complete separation for 6 years
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope, thats all ok! thanks you

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

What is it that you want to know?

Do you mean to ask whether a marriage will sort of automatically be dissolved after a specific period of time?

If so, then the answer is no. A marriage can be dissolved in one of three ways:

1. Death;

2. Divorce

3. Annulment.

Death is obvious. Both divorce and annulment requires an order from a Court.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks and I'll certainly rate you. Is there anything in terms of annulment covered with separation and completely separate lives?

No, for a marriage to be annulled, it is considered to be invalid, in other words, as if the parties never got married.

You can read more here.

Please remember to rate the service positively.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. I hope I can be of assistance to you again in the future.

You may request me personally.