South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I want some additional information on the laws and

I want some additional...

I want some additional information on the laws and regulations regarding the tutoring industry. I own a tutoring company and I want to ensure compliance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Like what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Registered Pty Ltd

Answered in 5 days by:
2/22/2018
Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney
Good Evening - let me try to assist you please. I need a bit more info. To whom do you offer the tutoring services and in what sector specifically? Is this for school kids, university students or professionals. Generally all manner of teaching is regulated by the provisions of Statute such as the Basic Education Laws but tutoring can fall into a gap. Please let me have more detail and we can provide you with the answers you’re looking for. Regards. Shaie
We have services for high school and university students. We offer private tutors for basically any subject ranging from electrical engineering to music. We have some tutors for professionals providing workshops in advanced excel etc.
It’s an unregulated industry. As long as you don’t profess to be a learning institution akin to a school I don’t believe there is any registration requirement in terms of the Basic or Higher Education Laws. I want to just research one point and I will come back to you with further information.
Thank you! As far as I can tell the tutors have to be screened on the sexual offenders registry when dealing with minors? But that is as far as I can tell what to do.

OK - so Ive debated this at length with various colleagues. I want you to have a look at this link: https://www.westerncape.gov.za/assets/departments/south-african-council-for-educators-act.pdf

In my opinion this requires even tutors to be registered in terms of the Act.

Others believe Tutors arent covered but I think you should err on the side of caution.

Maybe contact the Council and take a view from them before you make a decision?

I hope this helps?

Please let me know if I can assist further and please remember to rate my service.

Regards

Shaie

Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney