South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Pls help with this, I was arrested for crossing the border…

Customer Question
Hello pls help with...

Hello pls help with this , I was arrested for crossing the border without a passport nd I only paid a bail , with my fingerprint prints taken , the second case was of stealing airtime from some one they took my fingerprint in the SAPS , I didn't go to court and I was underage by that time , do I have a criminal record for this

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

2008 in Pongola Kwazulu Natal South Africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Im not sure but the docket for this was opened , we were given a date for court and when we arrived at the court tge judge said I must go home , but my fingerprint were taken in the SAPS this happened for the case of stealing airtime

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing else

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
2/10/2018
Lawyer: CaseLaw, Attorney replied 3 months ago
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your initial question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

If you were not found guilty, and if you didn't pay a guilty fine, then you are not guilty and you don't have a criminal record.

If my answer hasn't provided you with enough clarity regarding your initial question, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

What do mean " guilty fine " cos I payed a bail , does paying a bail means you are guilty

No, paying bail does NOT mean that you are paying a guilty fine, and it does not mean that you are admitting guilt. What you have is simply a pending case against you.

In the case where the Judge told you to go home, I think what happened was that the charges were withdrawn against you. That's good news, because then there is nothing pending.

If you really want to know what the status is, you can apply for a police clearance certificate from SAPS. That will tell you exactly what cases are pending. You might also be able to simply visit your police station and ask them to look up on their "CAS" system to see if there are any outstanding cases against you.

Hi there again,

I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.

If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me by clicking on the star / smiley face rating system!

Regards

CaseLaw

CaseLaw
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney