South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

My wife runs a business for another person. She has recently…

Customer Question
My wife runs a...

My wife runs a business for another person. She has recently been accused by the owner of the business of committing fraud, when she in fact has no idea what he is stalking about. He states he has proof but has ulterior motives. He is wanting to pursue criminal charges. My understanding is that for criminal charges is that he would have to prove willful intent to defraud. Firstly, is my understanding correct and second, can she actually be arrested for a claim like this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because criminal law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This would be South African law

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
2/6/2018
Lawyer: Freddie Lombard, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

OK, yes, your understanding is correct. Intent is an element of the crime of fraud - if intent cannot be proven it will not be fraud. He will then, at best, ***** ***** to dismiss her due to gross negligence. Negligence, however gross, is not a crime and does not constitute fraud.

Secondly, yes, she can be arrested and prosecuted if the state (public prosecutor) is satisfied that there is enough evidence against her to prove fraud (and thus intent) at a trial.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards