South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I have question regarding my boundary wall. The wall is

Hi there. I have question...
Hi there. I have question regarding my boundary wall. The wall is built on my side of the property and my new neighbour wants to increase the height of the wall. He does not want to compromise with the height and wants to take away my view. We have lived in our house for 4 years and he has just started building his house 3 months ago. Can he build on my wall and what can I do to stop him?
1/19/2018
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

If the wall is built on your property your neighbour has no right to build onto the wall or increase its height at all.

Normally, the wall would be built on the boundary, and in such a case the wall is common property, which still means that the neighbour cannot unilaterally increase the height of the wall without your consent.

If he wants a higher wall, he will have to construct a new wall on his side of the boundary.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind asto rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney