South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Is it legal to charge interest on interest under South

Hi "Is it legal...

Hi "Is it legal to charge interest on interest under South African law? I was charged interest on overdue account in June 2017 and then the following month was charged further interest on this amount - not sure if that's legal?"

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a South African lawyer about this?

No would like to do so now

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Have requested clarification of interest rate charged and interest calculations

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes - maximum interest rate chargeable on overdue levy / utilities bill (is there a statutory maximum in south africa)

1/17/2018
Christiaan K

Good day

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you in answering your question today so please feel free to ask as many follow-up questions as you like until you are satisfied that I have answered your question.

It certainly is legal and have been done since man first stepped foot here. It is called compounded interest.

Interest is charged on regular intervals such as monthly and then added to the capital amount which becomes the new capital that is utilised to calculate the interest for the new month. This is normally regulated by the agreement between the parties.

Maximum interest rate differ, for example:

• home loans 18.75% per year;
  • credit cards and store cards 21,48% per year; and.
  • unsecured credit transactions 26,48% per year etc

I trust that this answered your question.

Please be so kind as to rate my service by clicking on the relevant stars or smiley faces. If you do not rate my service, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively.

Kind regards

Christiaan K
Hm. Thought there were specific consumer protection laws against compound interest on things like levy / overdue rent...
34;Section 79 of the Strata Schemes Management Act, Act 138 of 1996 (New South Wales Consolidated Acts) deals with interest and discounts on contributions and Section 79(2) provides that a contribution, if not paid at the end of one month after it becomes due and payable, bears until paid simple interest ...
Christiaan K
Christiaan K
Christiaan K