South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I need to know my husband is having an affair. However he…

Hi i need to...

Hi i need to know my husband is having an affair. However he served me with a protection order. I must appear in court in March however i noticed that the order was not signed by the commissioner of oaths.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

In south africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Also his girlfriend served me with 1 as well and the date for me to appear in court is 6 march 2017

1/9/2018
Christiaan K

What exactly is your question? What do you want to know?

M husband had sent me a protection order stamped by the court but not signed by the commissioner of oaths. Does this becomes null & void. And his girlfriend sent me a protection order for me to appear in court on the 6 of March 2017. However this protection order was sent on the 29th of December 2017.

Ok, now I understand.

It does not automatically become void. You may apply for it to be struck down but the court will most likely just allow the applicant to rectify any mistake. It might also be that the copy you received have been made before the commissioner of oaths signed the original document. In that case, it might be irrelevant.

Regarding the date error, this is indeed a serious error and if you do not appear, the court should remove it from the roll and instruct the order to be served afresh with a new date.

Having said that, I personally would not trust that this will definitely happen and would rather attend court on 6 March 2018 to defend the matter if you want to defend it. You stand to lose more that what can be gained by their mistake.

I trust that this answered your question.

Please be so kind as to rate my service by clicking on the relevant stars or smiley faces. If you do not rate my service, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively.

Kind regards

Christiaan K

Thank you for the positive rating.

If you need my assistance again infuture, you may request me personally at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-Attorneyza/

Regards