South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

What is expected from a person whose partner is filing for a…

Hi. What is expected...

Hi. What is expected from a person whose partner is filing for a separation?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

A brief overview of the relationship from dating to marriage to date, and the overview of the reason for the request given to the partner by the person filing for separation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

Gauteng South Africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The person filing does not want a divorce and insists that it is for the purpose of separating financial responsibilities. Reason for separation is no intimacy for a period of a year and a series of intimacy rejections over the 20 year marriage.

1/8/2018
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

Do you mean the person filed for a divorce?

In South Africa there is no legal term as separation.

The question, what is expected of the person who receives a summons for a divorce, depends entirely on what the person wants to accomplish. Does he/she want to oppose the divorce or does he/she agree to the divorce? Then the next question is what exactly is the legal remedies which the other party is asking for in the divorce summons? In other words, the other party is asking for an order of divorce and (for example - payment of maintenance, custody of the minor children, a division of the estate etc).

So, depending on these things, the person who receives the summons should serve and file a notice of intention to defend, with the assistance of an attorney, and then the matter can be taken from there. The best outcome would be for the parties to reach an amicable settlement before a summons is issued, however, if this cannot be done, the attorneys should attempt to reach such a settlement.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Thank you so much for the positive rating. I hope I can be of assistance to you again in the future.

You may request me personally.

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-fwlombard1/

Regards