South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Can a court grant you child support from your spouse while…

Can a court grant...

Can a court grant you child support from your spouse while you are still married if he refuses to support the family financially? or do i need to go the legat sepation root for that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kzn, south africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not realy

1/5/2018
Christiaan K

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

There is two ways to do that:

1. In terms of Rule 58 you can apply for interim maintenance if you intend to divorce. You do not need to be separated yet to do that;

2. In terms of the Domestic Violence Act, withholding finance from the family can be prohibited by interdict as it is a form of abuse to withhold money from a spouse.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I donot get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Christiaan K
Thank you.i dnt intend to devorce him but i would like an enforcement for him to support his family. I do work and make a descent salary however my husband does see the need to support if he does its less than 25%of what he gets payed. We have 2 children (3 &4), i need advice if i should persue the issue legally because reasoning with him has failed.

Like I said, withholding funds can be seen as an act of domestic violence and your remedy in terms thereof is extremely easy since you can apply to court for an interdict without need of an attorney.

It might however prove detrimental towards your marriage relationship if you do decide to follow this route. Maybe you should just use this as leverage to negotiate with him and then get him to commit to paying certain expenses monthly.

Thank you for the positive rating.

I definately will use this, if all fails im going to court. Thank you so much