South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Afternoon. I have been requested by my party, ZAPU from

Customer Question
Afternoon. I have been...

Afternoon. I have been requested by my party, ZAPU from Zimbabwe to explore how we can approach the ICJ and ICC in respect of bringing action against members of the ruling Zanu party for their part in the genocide and murders over the period of their rule. Kindly advise on the feasibility of taking such action.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Zimbabwe

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. But there is plenty of evidence of the misdeeds, some indeed held by Amnesty International who we wish to approach for more evidence

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Who has the authority to bring such action? Groups or individuals?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
12/28/2017
Lawyer: Christiaan K,
 replied 6 months ago
Christiaan K

Good day

Even though I am not an expert in Zimbabwean Law, your question s aimed more at international law than local Zimbabwe Law.

I doubt that the ICJ would be your best bet. It deals mainly with the following types of cases according to their website. You can click here to be redirected to the page.

"The Court may entertain two types of cases: legal disputes between States submitted to it by them (contentious cases) and requests for advisory opinions on legal questions referred to it by United Nations organs and specialized agencies (advisory proceedings)"

According to the website of the ICC, they deal with investigations as follows:

"In the absence of a UNSC referral of an act of aggression, the Prosecutor could initiate an investigation on her own initiative or upon request from a State Party, after obtaining prior authorization from the Pre-Trial Division of the Court."

You can click here to read up a bit more on the subject.

My advice would be to appoint a firm of attorneys dealing with international law to assist your party in bringing your case to the attention of the ICC through the correct channels. This way, you could be sure that your matter will receive proper attention and that it is handled correctly. You can simply google International Law Attorneys/Lawyers and you will receive many referrals.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Very useful direction pointer which I am now exploring
Lawyer: Christiaan K,
 replied 6 months ago

Please remember to rate my service.