South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

If an emoloyer abolished my post and creates a different one…

Hi If an emoloyer abolished my...
Hi
If an emoloyer abolished my post and creates a different one whuch also includes my job specs. What are my rights
I am employed on fixed term contract 5years. The employer changed the organogram, and changed the specs of the post, and advertised a new position with added responsibilities. What are my rights and my options.
12/13/2017
Christiaan K

Good day

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

Even though your employer cannot simply change your job description unilaterally without consulting you, this is in effect a empty rule since the employer can, under the premise of operational requirements, change whatever needs to be changed.

Having said that, if you are employed under a fixed term agreement, such as your 5 year contract, you cannot be retrenched during such period for operational requirements. You can still be dismissed for contravening a workplace rule but not retrenched.

Very few employers know this so if you are eventually retrenched, you may be able to claim payment of your salary for the balance of the 5 year contract or reinstatement.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Christiaan K
I am under no obligation to apply for the new position. And the employer is obliged to honor my 5 year contract unless they can prove non performance on my part?

Correct legally yes but you might consider applying in any event. It might just create a longer future for you with the company.

Thanks for the positive rating. I hope I can be of assistance to you again in the future.

You may request me personally at: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-fwlombard1.

Regards

Hopefully last question
If I do apply, and do not get the post ( which I already know I will not get), how does that affect my existing contract?

It should not affect you but then again, the employer will not necessarily follow the law. It will look good for you however if you do apply and does not get the job whereas it will make the employer look very bad.