South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Divorce: In community of property. I understand all the

Customer Question
Divorce: In community of...

Divorce: In community of property. I understand all the entitlements ito the DA and PFA. We want to settle and our attorneys are drafting the agreement. Both my wife and I have pension fund interests. My wifes pension benefit is much larger than mine. The attorneys say that only the net assets must be included in the calculation of the joint estate (prior to division). I argue that this is not equitable considering that she will be allowed to subtract a much larger portion of "tax" from the deemed benefit, ie. her portion is reduced substantially. I argue that I have the right to decide whether I want the cash from her pension fund (50%), or transfer it to another pension fund tax free. I am thus entitled to 50% of the gross benefit of her pension interest. She is similarly entitled to the 50% of my pension interest. So, for pension fund divisions / distributions, gross benefits must be used. The attorneys argue that this is not how the courts are looking at it. We are actually not going to claim on each others pension funds - it is only for calculating the joint estate value. The other assets will be used to equalise. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Gauteng, South Africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, only want to know whether gross or net (after tax) pension interests should be used in calculating the joint estate

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
When can I expect an answer please.
12/12/2017
Lawyer: CaseLaw, Attorney replied 8 months ago
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your initial question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? I will come back to you shortly!

CaseLaw

There are some excellent articles available online which answer your question. Rather than me copy/pasting portions of the articles, it might be easier if I just send you the links.

https://www.iol.co.za/personal-finance/retirement/splitting-a-pension-on-divorce-1218453

https://divorceattorneys.wordpress.com/tag/divorce-settlement-agreement/

http://www.pkf.co.za/capetown/news/2015/retirement-funds-and-divorce-the-tax-implications/

Thank you. Further info (for the sake of simplicity). My pension benefit R1 000 000 her benefit R2 000 000. Married in COP.We are both entitled to 50% of the other's pension interest. I can decide if I want to receive my entitlement from her pension fund in cash - if this is my option, I pay the tax on it according to the lump sum withdrawal table. The same applies to her. If we decide not to take the cash but transfer the entitlement to our own respective funds - no tax until we either withdraw or retire? Is this correct? If so then the attorneys are wrong to say that the value of the estate is based on the after-tax pension interests. The value of the estate is R 3 000 000 in this case (if the pension interests are the only assets) - NOT R3 000 000 Less tax?The www.pkf.co.za is incorrect - that was a prior dispensation.

We are both entitled to 50% of the other's pension interest. I can decide if I want to receive my entitlement from her pension fund in cash - if this is my option, I pay the tax on it according to the lump sum withdrawal table. The same applies to her. If we decide not to take the cash but transfer the entitlement to our own respective funds - no tax until we either withdraw or retire? --> yes, exactly.

If so then the attorneys are wrong to say that the value of the estate is based on the after-tax pension interests. The value of the estate is R 3 000 000 in this case (if the pension interests are the only assets) - NOT R3 000 000 Less tax? --> yes, exactly. The reason for this is because your income tax rate (marginal rate) might be different to somebody else's, so how can you calculate the after tax figure exactly? Everyone deals with the actual value of the benefit.