South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I need a good lawyer to advise me on an ex friend and his…

Hi I need a...

Hi I need a good lawyer to advise me on an ex friend and his girlfriend who keep getting their lawyer to call me on my cell and at my place of employ to threaten me with harassment charges if I don to certain things

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No not yet I need to though, they watching me and controlling my every move if they can

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Perhaps I should just outline in point form the events quickly?

I had a friend for 12 years (3 years in a relationship) then he contracted HIV in 2007 and we since remained best friends1) in August this year we went on holiday to Mauritius (which we planned for 8 months)
2) 9 September he dumped me (our friendship) and told me he was in a relationship – I was devastated, but wished him well.
3) 15 mins later the girlfriend contacted me and I discovered this relationship he had going on for two years
4) I called and messaged him but He cut me off completely also messaged the girlfriend - no reply, I was in a state with no closure explanations etc
5) 11th Sep I popped in at his house to have the final conversation (no shouting or anything) and uncovered a web of lies, he basically said he was abandoning our friendship etc etc I got home and sent a message to both of them telling them they deserve each other
6) 13th Sep I sent an apology for getting upset (which I thought was understandable as this was so shocking to me it came out of the blue!)
7) 2 days later I get a call from their lawyer to refrain from contacting them and threatening me with harassment charges
8) 1 month after this the same lawyer calls me to remove all my FB pictures with him in (I don’t know if it was him or her who is doing this or both). There was nothing on the FB just pics he wasn’t even tagged in them pics going back 12 years
9) I then deactivated my FB linked in etc - that whole week I got about 20 No Caller ID calls - when I pick up its silent. Also the lawyer tells me he is checking up on me as his client is seriously going to file for a protection order an I will be arrested. I sent a follow up email after the conversation to place on record what he said (also did this with the first call)
10) I was in a state - missed 4 days of work and had to go to the doctor who sent me to a psychologist
11) This past weekend (3months later) I get a message from my friend via a friend passing on greetings.
I sent an sms to ask if the legal situation is now over or not? (Saturday – that’s all I said)
12) Tuesday the lawyer calls me again saying the girlfriend came to him with a screenshot of the sms I sent and me to refrain from contacting him and again threatening me that they seriously want to move ahead with charges.I have decided to forgive so that I can move on with my life but was told I can only send this message through the lawyer to him. Once I heard this I decided not to do this at all as now they are acting like I’m breaking the law- I feel like it’s a setup and I need a lawyer on my side. Not to do anything but that at least if they try something again I have some backup.
I am devastated And been praying for strength, please advise
Sincerely
Estelle
12/3/2017
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your initial question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

In relation to the lawyer, what you need to do is to lodge a complaint with the Law Society about his conduct. You'll need to explain that he is harassing you and you'll need to give examples (as many as possible) as to how, when, etc he is doing this. Lay the complaint. Don't threaten him with it. Just send him a copy of it once you've done it.

In relation to your friend, they are obviously trying to blackmail you. They will keep doing it until you tell them "No". Otherwise, you can also approach the Magistrates Court and get a protection order against your ex.

You can find your nearest magistates court here: https://www.southafricanlawyer.co.za/magisterial-district-view-all.php

The best advice that I can give you is to STAY away from this guy. Don't message him. Don't contact him. Don't FB him. Or anything. The girlfriend is obviously angry and she is the one driving this.

If my answer hasn't provided you with enough clarity regarding your initial question, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Also I don’t want this published and I’m scared they will recognize the case. The lawyer- I would prefer that my lawyer does it on my behalf as I don’t know the law- thank you for the advice! Can you recommend someone I can go see in the Fourways area? Can they hold me to the angry stuff I said when I was upset? I didn’t threaten but would like to meet someone face to face. Not feeling comfortable.
The first interaction I had with the lawyer I asked him to send me an email of the content of the conversation in the email was instructions for me not to contact the girlfriend (she was named as well) can I do the protection order against her as well?

Yes, you can get a protection order against both of them. You would need to make out a case against each person, so ensure that you have enough evidence against them both. It might be enough just getting a protection order against her?! Good luck!

P.S. You must contact the site admin/support centre to ask them to "close" this question so that it remains private. At the moment, it is NOT private, but I don't know how somebody would actually find this in Google and then think that it was about them.