South Africa Law

Get Your South African Law Questions Answered by Experts

South Africa Law

I own a bike park. The property belongs to me but is open to…

Customer Question
Hi, I own a...

Hi, I own a bike park. The property belongs to me but is open to the public. There is a cafe at the park. I do not want to have a liquor license but I would like my customers to have access to beers after their ride. Is the following legal: I intend to place a snapscan qr code in my cafe that pays directly into the bank account of a nearby bottle store( off sales license). My customers would then order and pay for their beer which would then be delivered to my premises . Less than 25 litres per person per time and obviously the snapscan would generate a unique purchase event for every person buying beer

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Western cape , South Africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Second to the above : would it also be legal for me to keep 25 litres of my own beer in a fridge at the cafe that people could " borrow" until their ordered beer arrived. Effectively it would be a beer bank..?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that is it. Thanks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
12/1/2017
Lawyer: Freddie Lombard, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

The net effect of what you are planning, sounds a lot like selling liquor without a license, however, technically it is not possible to show that you actually sold any alcohol at all. You did not receive any payment in exchange for beer.

However, you have to also consider the issues of consuming alcohol in a public place. Your bike park is possibly not a public place, but private property.

So, in short, and I must state this - I am not an expert in liquor license matters - your plan sounds good to me (I cannot see anything illegal), however, you might certainly have a hard time when inspectors come asking questions, and they may charge you. So, you have to consider whether this plan is worth the trouble and expense of a criminal trial (if it comes to it) even if you are in the end found not guilty.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Thanks,
But a general legal opinion is not what I am looking for.
I have read the liquor act. And I am well aware of the technicalities involved. What I am looking for is an opinion from someone who has considerable experience with the South African liquor act.
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney