South Africa Law

Get Your South African Law Questions Answered by Experts

South Africa Law

I hit a pedestrian at a mall with my car and took her to the

hi I hit a pedestrian...
hi I hit a pedestrian at a mall with my car and took her to the nearest hospital but did not report the case to the police station
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: It's in South Africa, Gauteng. The car is a 2015 model
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She went to report to the police and I was asked to report to the police station ASAP.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I took her to the clinic I couldn't stay the whole day as I had to go to work, this accident happened in the eyes of two traffic officers and they advised i take her to the clinic. she was with her younger sister.
11/27/2017
Christiaan K

Good day

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you in answering your question today so please feel free to ask as many followup questions as you like until you are satisfied that I have answered your question.

You have not asked a question but I guess you want me to tell you what to do. I also guess that the incident happened a while ago already?

Since you stated that the incident too place in view of traffic officers, you can always argue that you followed their instructions and because they were on the scene, you thought that they would have taken down your details and that it was not necessary for you to report it any further.

My advice would be to go and report it now formally, even if it did happen a while ago, you simply explain what happened as I have stated above and see to it that you get a reference number. If you are afraid to go alone, you can always instruct an attorney to assist you with reporting the incident and to accompany you to the nearest SAPS.

I trust that this answered your question.

Please be so kind as to rate my service by clicking on the relevant stars or smiley faces. If you do not rate my service, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively.

Kind regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, what should I expect?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will this leave a bad record in my name?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lady is not badly injured.

I cannot guess what you can expect. If sanity prevails you will simply report the matter. People behave strangely so nobody can guess what will happen.

The injury does not really matter, if they want to open a case of reckless or negligent driving, they will want an affidavit from you which you should not give without your attorney.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, how bad does this look?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What measures can I take to prevent anything bad from happening?

It is a innocent mistake, so from my point of view it does not look bad. Even if they want to charge you criminally for not reporting the accident, it is not a serious offense.

To limit your risk, you should get an attorney to assist you and accompany you to the police station to report the accident.

Please remember to rate my service.

Regards

Christiaan K

Thank you for the positive rating.

If you need my assistance again in future, you may request me personally at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-Attorneyza/

Regards

Christiaan K
Christiaan K
Christiaan K