South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

How many days per week or per month can a worker work for an…

How many days per week...
How many days per week or per month can a worker work for an employer before the person is considered an employee ?
11/26/2017
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your initial question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

A person is considered to be an employee as soon as that person starts working for you.

According to section 213 of the Labour Relations Act an employee is:

"(a) any person, excluding an independent contractor, who works for another person or for the state and who receives, or is entitled to receive, any remuneration; and
"(b) any other person who in any manner assists in carrying out or conducting the business of an employer."

If you have a gardener (for example) who works for you on Mondays. He will still be an employee, and he will also be a permanent employee. This is so because "he comes to work on Mondays". He might work elsewhere on the other days of the week - so he won't be a full time employee.

Does that make sense?

If my answer hasn't provided you with enough clarity regarding your initial question, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney