South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Someone obtained and circulated my pay slip without my

Customer Question
Someone obtained and circulated...

Someone obtained and circulated my pay slip without my knowledge, started a smear campaign to get me voted out position of president in the organization. The pay slip resulted in a damning article that was circulated internationally.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I have proof from the journalist who was used to conduct a radio interview based on the documents given to him by this person

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I was in an elected position, receiving an allowance for being available for all tasks as required; I was not employed anywhere during the time. I'm now at home and jobless.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The journalist has given me the names of all involved in the smear campaign. The damning article was entitled 'caught red handed' with my photo splashed on the newspaper. The Audited Financial Statement is presented to Council annually and reflects salaries that incorporate allowances, salaries and retainers. All executive members received allowances but I'm the only one who's pay slip was published, discussed and resulted in me being accused if 'looting' from the organization.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
11/23/2017
Lawyer: Andrew, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties so what is your question?

I have sent it already

"The journalist has given me the names of all involved in the smear campaign. The damning article was entitled 'caught red handed' with my photo splashed on the newspaper. The Audited Financial Statement is presented to Council annually and reflects salaries that incorporate allowances, salaries and retainers. All executive members received allowances but I'm the only one who's pay slip was published, discussed and resulted in me being accused if 'looting' from the organization."

No I prefer written response. Do you have the questions I sent through that resulted in me paying and getting you assigned to me?

Did you have a specific question?

Sorry just answer auto asks for a phone call just ignore

I have asked them Andrew, what does this mean? I said someone obtained and circulated my pay slip without my knowledge, a damning article was written and circulated, this was a smear campaign aimed at voting me out of position of president. I was voted out.

You made a statement not a question. I am going to opt out for someone else help you. Good luck.

I also said I was in an elected position but
Why?
How am I assured that someone will help me? How do I contact your company to follow up in case I don't get an answer within 24hrs?
Lawyer: CaseLaw, Attorney replied 7 months ago
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your initial question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? I will come back to you shortly!

CaseLaw

Hi there,

This is a further information request so that I can provide you a proper answer to your legal question. Please continue in this same question thread.

I've read what you've had to say above, but I don't understand exactly what your legal question is?

Please can you explain what information you need from me, or how I can assist you?

Awaiting your further information.

Regards

CaseLaw

Do I have grounds to sue for defamation of character?

In so far as they have made false allegations that you "looted" the organisation, Yes, I believe that you would have a good case for defamation. You'd need to sue the people, most probably citing all of them as defendants. You'd need to set out in the summons exactly what they said, and how those allegations are false, and the impact that the false allegations have had on your life, and your earning ability.

Defamation is the branch of law that deals with legal liability for acts of negligence and other civil wrongs and the way in which damages are assessed is known as the law of delict. The law protects your reputation and provides that the unjustified publication – oral and written – of anything damaging to a reputation may allow the injured person to claim damages for defamation.