South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I have a quick question. I bought property (vacant stand) on…

Customer Question
I have a quick...

I have a quick question. I bought property (vacant stand) on line and the ad and boards stated that the property is a security complex. I specifically bought the property for that purpose. I then discovered that it is not the case. It is 13 properties that has wire fence the hight of your middle with big trees, a gate that does not close. further the "estate agent" told me to pay a levy every month of R220 which I did and then I discovered that there was never a home owners assocciation registered at all and the guy is putting the money in his pocket

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

When I asked for statements he became difficult, so far that he is terrorizing me currently. He has called the building inspector to come and inspect my house being build. Building inspector did not find any wrong and complemented me on my work

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Northern Cape

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
Answered in 1 day by:
11/18/2017
Lawyer: Christiaan K,
 replied 8 months ago
Christiaan K

Ok, you have described the situation but yo did nt actually ask a question. What do you want to know?

Were do I stand, can I make a case for misinterpretation, and what about the money he is collecting without a registered Home Owners Association?
Lawyer: Christiaan K,
 replied 8 months ago

From what you told me you can most certainly sue for misrepresentation. You have however now started building so I guess you would want to claim reduction in purchase price rather than cancellation of the sale. You will have to take a copy of the deed of sale as well as the title deed to an attorney to see how strong your claim would be.

If he charged any money to which he was not entitled to, you can sue him for refund plus interest as well.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards