South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I was heavy under medication and was basically repetively…

Customer Question
I was heavy under...

I was heavy under medication and was basically repetively questioned by 2 insurance guys on a jewellery claim

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I finally gave in under the stress after 5 hours kwazulu natal, south africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

And gave a confession they insist i have the jewellery and i dont

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Now they cancelled my policies and are reporting me to the police i was never in a fraud situation ever

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
9/19/2017
Lawyer: Freddie Lombard, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

What did you confess?

What happened to the jewelery?

Regards

hi there

Hi

i lost the jewellery - cant remember how and when. they asked me lotsa questions and i fumbled guessing that it may have been my granddad when cleaning my car
i got so frustrated when they kept going round and round so i had a panic attack and gave in where they indicated i had financial problems with my mom's health stage 4 cancer and me being her caregiver, and that the jewels are not stolen

OK, but that does noe sound like you "gave in under stress" or that you "gave a confession".

You will have to tell me exactly what happened and what you told them.

start of story - was on lond distance drive from Durban to Rustenburg. It was late evening and dark, driving alone. I hit boulders on the road, and saw 6 black men running towards me.
just before that i clicked open my door to get out of my car when i saw the girl infront of me also pulled off with flat tyres
i then closed my door and reversed and got to the top, whilst they continued to stone my car. parked at the top of the toll and attack continued. i had all my luggage with me by the way.
i used this opportunity to claim for my missing jewels which i didn't know when had gone missing. I didn't claim then because i knew they would not pay out
i lied that it went missing in this incident
I've been on anti-depressants, sedatives, and had 2 PX (sedative anxiety pills) during the 5 hour interrogation. They even asked me if i was drugged which i admitted but they continued. I finally confessed that i lost the jewels but they would not listen and said i probably lost it before insuring. but how- if i had the evaluations done? Then they picked on 3 tags, which on a pre-assessment - which was fake, but i never took insurance on because i never had evaluations
which was a requisite from OUTSURANCE
The insurance company insists i still have the jewels hidden at home
i confessed that i lost the jewels and used this incident to claim because of mom (because they said my mom's illness) and made me write an apology.
i seriously don't have the jewels and i know i lied but i never ever had an incident against my name for dishonesty. They cancelled all 5 policies (3 cars, 1 life, 1 jewellery) and my mom's household contents because we live together and her life policy too.
I never had previous jewellery claims
it was a false claim yes, but i don't have the jewels- i seriously lost it whilst being insured
help please? legally how can i be prosecuted? is there any mitigation?

OK, unfortunately I do not have good news for you.

What you have done is insurance fraud, and whether it is the first time or not, does not change the fact that you committed insurance fraud. The insurance company was therefore 100% entitled to cancel all of your policies and to refuse to insure you again. This might also cause you to be blacklisted and that no other insurance company will ever insure you again.

That is unfortunately the consequences of what you have done. Cancelling her life insurance policy does not make any sense, unless you are the one who took out this insurance and the policy is in your name.

So, in short, yes, the police will investigate the matter, and the prosecuting authority will probably prosecute you for fraud. You are possibly looking at a prison sentence.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Lawyer: Freddie Lombard, Attorney replied 10 months ago

Good morning,

This is just a quick note to follow up. Did you find my answerhelpanswer helpfule anything else I can assist you with before you rate the service? Please note that I do not get paid if you do not rate.

Regards