South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

A female and a male worker are both charged with "fighting…

A female and a male...
A female and a male worker are both charged with "fighting in the workplace" the incident happened on the 26th May 2017. The female worker just after the incident complained that she was assaulted and she was taken to the doctor on the 26th May but the male one never complained neither going to the doctor on the 26th but he went on the 29th. Both workers opened criminal cases against each other for assault and the prosecution didn't happened since both decided to withdraw the cases against each other and both signed out of court settlement letters. Two witnesses collaborated to the fact that the male worker was heard saying "I will hit you" after a question from the female one asking "why are you hitting me".
This to us seems like the female worker has been overpowered by the male worker and she acted on self defense using a portrait and the stapler but yet she is also dismissed with the male worker.
We are preparing an appeal for her and a possible referral to the CCMA please assist if we do have grounds to fight this perceived unfair dismissal case.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/14/2017
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

It appears from your case that the chairman made an incorrect factual finding, and that such was not based on the evidence before him. This, I must say, I can only guess, since I am only in posession of your version and I was not present to hear the evidence. But, relying on the accuracy of your version, it appears as if Zanele did not trhought the stapler at the person who assaulted her.

I believe you do have a case for an appeal especially considering the governments very strong zero tolerance policy on violence against women and children.

It can never be expected to be OK for a man to assault a women. And then, it can even less be expected to be OK for such a women to not be allowed to vigourously defend herself.

The letter signed to settle the dispute at Court is hardly enough evidence to say she assaulted him, even if the wording states that she will not assault him again. That was done in settlement of a criminal matter.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Can the employer dismiss Zanele for trying to defend herself from a man obviously stronger than her?
Can the employer dismiss Zanele based on the fact that an eye witness testified that he saw both Zanele and the man grabbing each other he didnt see any hitting accept to mention the stapler. He further argues that he had to seperate them before they could stop, so can that justify that there was a fight between the two.
Can the injuries examined by a doctor 3 days after the incident warrant an assault and what about the injuries reported by Zanele on the day of the inceident and examined then by the doctor.

OK, yes, the injuries sustained during the altercation is not a problem and the fact that the man only went to the doctor a few days later makes no difference.

The fact that the man is stronger than the woman does not necessarily mean that he was the aggressor.

The only thing that is a problem for Zanele, is the finding by the chairman that she attacked the man after they were already separated. That is not self defense - that is assault, no matter what happened prior to that. Zanele's version is that she wanted to run away but that the man was blocking the doorway.

If her version is correct, then she should be OK, she was trying to protect herself. But, if his version is correct that she attacked him even after they were already separated, then she is also guilty of assaulting him, and the dismissal will be fair.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. I hope I can be of assistance to you again in the future.

You may request me personally.

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-fwlombard1/

Regards