Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
20266670

I was turn away from Guatemala Airport for not booking the

Customer Question

I was turn away from Guatemala Airport for not booking the hotel. In the I lost my vacation funding. How can I open up the case, as I feel am very victimized
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there anyway I can be refunded of my plane or the ticket
JA: We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.
Customer: Ok thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Barend B. replied 1 month ago.

Good evening,

I will try to assist. Just tell me, are you from South Africa? If not, how does South Africa feature in this scenario?

Regards,

BB

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Barend
Yes I'm South African. Who hold a South African passport.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No Barend I paid the deposit, now it's look like a scam now. I can pay that amount if you can refere me to a physical address
Expert:  Barend B. replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

What is looking like a scam? This forum? It is not a scam. The legal experts advise and assist people daily. But as the forum moderator told you in the beginning, you can request a refund.

If you would like me to advise you of your possible options, kindly provide me with a detailed background to your question. What were your travel arrangements? What airline did you use? What were the conditions of your vacation funding and the source thereof?

Regards,

BB

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi
I am a South African Tourist Guide, I am in a business for more than a 20 years as a free lance guide. I have the travel arrangement to stay for a week in Brazil and to stay for seven days in Guatemala City. When I arrive at the city, I was told that I didn't pay for my Hostel accommodation. They phone the Hostel that I have done reservation whith, but they said even if I did that I can not go through. They ask me about the tourism destinations that I plan to visit. There were a language problem , which resulted on me be turned back . The plane was Emirits airways.
Expert:  Barend B. replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

Who told you that you didn't pay for the hostel accommodation, and refused you to go through? If it was the Guatemalan customs officials, then you will have to institute a damages claim against them in Guatemala. Our courts will not have jurisdiction over something they did in their country. I don't think Emirates is to blame. It seems as if the sole blame lies with custom officials. You could write to the Guatemalan government and complain and demand damages compensation or you could contact a Guatemalan attorney to take action on your behalf. You probably already have this information but here is the website for the Guatemalan government http://www.presidencia.gob.gt/. Maybe this human rights attorney Jordán Rodas (http://www.presidencia.gob.gt/acercamiento-y-alianzas/apoyo-a-nuevo-procurador/) could assist you in this regard.

I wish you all the best with your claim.

Regards,

BB

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The problem is the language, they speak Latin and I don't know the language. Is there any other website in the inglish that can assist me ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What can I do to request someone who can help, I'm not winning here. I thought , you will assist me.
Expert:  Barend B. replied 1 month ago.

Good day,

I respectfully ***** ***** I have assisted you. Google can translate the website for you, but it is Spanish they are speaking, not Latin. The only other alternative is to arrange a consultation with an attorney in South Africa and ask him to contact an attorney in Guatemala. You can contact the Law Society to find out if there are Spanish speaking attorneys in South Africa who can assist you.

Regards,

BB

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Mr. Barenda
I tried all the avenue that I know with the South African Justice with no success. The Law in South Africa does not ingage in foreign problems. Now I feel no hope from your company. The time is running out. Can I receive my deposit, as I'm not satisfied by your response?
Expert:  Barend B. replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm sorry you don't feel satisfied with my response, because the advice I gave you, is sound advice. But I don't think you understand how this forum works. This is not my company. I'm an independent expert. When you pay your deposit, I don't get anything unless you are satisfied with my response. Furthermore, this is only an advice forum. The lawyers here will not take on your case or anything like that. They will only give you advice. Personally I don't think it is fair after all the time I have spent on your questions to be still unsatisfied, but it is your choice. If you want your deposit back you should e-mail***@******.*** .

Regards,

BB