South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Is there srill a type PP south african passport? Living in…

Customer Question
Is there srill a...

Is there srill a type PP south african passport?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Living in scotland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Why is the holder's signature no longer how it was in passports before 2009?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
9/8/2017
Lawyer: Christiaan K,
 replied 11 months ago
Christiaan K

Good day

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you in answering your question today so please feel free to ask as many follow-up questions as you like until you are satisfied that I have answered your question.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_passport, There are six types of South African passports:

Regular passport

These passports are issued to citizens who are 16 years of age or older, and are intended for occasional travel, such as vacations and business trips. They contain 32 pages, and are valid for 10 years. Regular passports are not renewable – when they expire, new passport applications have to be filed.

Maxi passport

Similar to regular passports, but contain 48 pages to cater for frequent travellers. Like regular passports, they are issued to citizens aged 16 and older, are valid for 10 years, and are non-renewable. like the regular passport when it expires,a new passport applications will have to be filed.

Child passport

These passports are issued to citizens who are 15 years of age or younger. They are valid for 5 years, and are non-renewable

Official passport

These passports are issued to officials attached to government institutions who have to travel on official business. They are valid for 5 years, and are issued to officials free of charge by the Department of Home Affairs.

Diplomatic passport

Issued to diplomats and consuls for work-related travel, and to their accompanying dependants.

I am not sure what the difference is between the signatures in passports before and after 2009. It still contains a digital copy of the holder's signature. Countries are constantly looking for better ways to improve passports to prevent fraud so if there was a change, this would be one of the reasons.

I trust that this answered yourquestion.

Please be so kind as to rate my service by clicking on the relevant stars or smiley faces. If you do not rate my service, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively.

Kind regards

Lawyer: Christiaan K,
 replied 11 months ago

Did you receive my email of 8 September?