South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Had a accident last night. Robot was for me, traffic car…

Customer Question
Had a accident last...

Had a accident last night. Robot was green for me, traffic car swerved in front of my crossing into my lane and i collided with the car. Went for blood test at the hospital and breathalyser test donw, qas detained for 4 hours. What will happen from here onwards?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?

No, i wasn't given a court date or anything else

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

I had a few drinks after work

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They say i was over the limit, will be charged for drunken driving. the traffic office also slapped me in my face. My eye is bloody and red

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2017
Lawyer: CaseLaw, Attorney replied 11 months ago
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your initial question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

If you have already been formally charged, you would have been released on a warning to appear in court on a certain date. You'll need to appear on that date otherwise you will be arrested and brought to court.

If you were simply released, then it was probably on the basis that they are waiting on the blood tests before they charge you. You'll then be released on a warning to appear in court on a certain date.

On that date in court, you will be charged with driving under the influence. What you should then do is to hire a criminal attorney to represent you in court and to see if you can't get the charges thrown out, or that the charges are withdrawn subject to you attending an adult diversion course. i.e. community service.

I am afraid that I am not allowed to refer you to a specific attorney, however I can suggest that you can locate a suitably qualified attorney in your area who will be able to assist you with your query at Find a Law Firm specialising in Drunk Driving

You'll need to speak to the lawyer directly about his/her charges as they vary depending on a number of factors. e.g. small firm / big firm, years of experience, etc ...

In relation to the officer slapping you, you need to take pictures of your face and then go to the police station to lay charges of assault against the traffic officer. They are not allowed to do that. The police will then be asked to investigate the matter.

If my answer hasn't provided you with enough clarity regarding your initial question, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

Hi there again,

I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.

If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me by clicking on the star / smiley face rating system!

Regards

CaseLaw