South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I'm trying to find out if theres a warrant for an arrest for…

Customer Question
I'm trying to find...

I'm trying to find out if theres a warrant for an arrest for a traffic fine if it shows up on a police clearance certificate

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Im not actually sure if there is a warrant I just know I had a fine where I had to appear in court a few years ago and I didnt

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Im not sure.. I just left it..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Hmmm.. not really, just wondering if you guys can provide the answer for this

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: South Africa Law
8/3/2017
Lawyer: Freddie Lombard, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.

Regards

If this shows up on a police clearance certificate, then it is safe to accept that a warrant for your arrest was indeed issued. However, the warrant would not be for the traffic fine, but rather for you failure to appear in Court (contempt of Court).

It is never advisable to "just leave it" or to ignore traffic fines, but even more so when a summons to appear in Court has been served on you.

You will have to approach the prosecutor at the Magistrates Court in the district at the Court where you were supposed to appear (and did not) for further assistance in this matter. You may also need the assistance of an attorney in your area who specialises in criminal law matters.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards