How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Freddie Lombard Your Own Question
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 2681
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Freddie Lombard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We employed a student, who is getting on site training for

Customer Question

Hi, we employed a student, who is getting on site training for 2017 and then we will be funding him to study for a diploma from 2018 - 2022? How can I get a legally binding contract for him to work back a certain term, 5 or 6 years, after he completed his studies?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South Africa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet, he started with his training, 1 March 2017
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 5 months ago.

Hi I'm Freddie,

Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will post a reply here ASAP.


Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 5 months ago.

You will have to get the assistance of an attorney specialising in Labour Law to assist you to draft a contract which will contain a restraint of trade clause, together with a clause which will state that in lieu of the study costs paid by the employer, the employee will work at the employer for a specified period and should he decide to resign or be dismissed due to his actions (misconduct or inability) then he will repay the employer an amount (which would be reduced every month that he works for the employer).

I hope you understand that this service is only to answer questions, and not to engage with you as an attorney and supply legal services (like drafting contracts etc) for you.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further questions here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.


Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

This is just a quick note to follow up. Did you find my answer helpful? Is there anything else I can assist you with before you rate the service? Please note that I do not get paid if you do not rate.


Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 3 months ago.

I just want to make sure you received my answer.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?