How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Freddie Lombard Your Own Question
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 2670
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Freddie Lombard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Husband (we are legally married in a same sex

Customer Question

Hi. My Husband (we are legally married in a same sex relationship) has a 16 month baby girl that we are both ringing up. She lives with us! Her mother is a loving person but has a family of her own - 2 small kids! Both Mother and Father of the baby girl are happy that I become the Stepparent - with them remaining parents! We believe that the baby will then never have issues that the mother signed her off or gave her away|! IS this possible in SA law?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Gauteng and live in Johannesburg South Africa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just the fact that the baby is living with her father - and myself...and is loved and taken care of!
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 8 months ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

I am not sure exactly what you intend doing. If you are married to the child's father then you automatically become the stepfather of the child. You do not need to do anything.

You can also adopt the child but then the mother will lose her parental rights and from what you told me this is not what you want to do.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. From what you say - I automatically become the stepfather....but is there something more legal????? The babies mother is married to a pilot and travels a lot and could end up working somewhere in the world......If ever we have a situation where my husband is not there.....could hospitals not push me away as I am not "legally" anything to the child. I am happy if you say that marriage and the child living with us from birth gives me rights! I am just worried that I have nothing in writing!
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 8 months ago.

There is nothing more. You currently are the stepfather while you are married to the natural father.

The next best thing is for you to adopt.

Please remember to rate my service.


Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 8 months ago.

Did you receive my last answer?