Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
20266670

I recently received a summons to appear in court. The court

Customer Question

Hi there
My name is Gordon
I recently received a summons to appear in court. The court is located 1000km from my residents address. The summons was e-mailed to me. Not personally served. The location of the court is in Cape town South Africa.I have not been to Cape Town the past 5 years and did not commit any crime there. But an attorney in Cape Town received instructions from a national insurance company to do debt collection on me. I understand that the attorney works in Cape Town. But we do have a local court where I can appear. I live far from Cape Town. And my question here is about jurisdiction.
The summons is burdensome as it will be difficult for me to travel to Cape Town. I cannot afford to be away from work for 2 days.
The attorney sent me an e-mail stating that he can summons me where and when he wishes to.
Can I contest such a subpoena. ?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

This is a further information request so that I can provide you a proper answer to your legal question. Please continue in this same question thread.

I am going to either need to see the summons (scan & upload), or you're going to have to explain which court it was issued out of, and how it was served, etc. As much information as possible.

Also, whether a judgment has been granted, or is it a summons / subpoena / what. You are not entirely clear there. What does the document actually say?

Awaiting your further information.

Regards

CaseLaw

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Currently on holiday. Will it be fine with you if I send the summons to you this coming Monday?
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 7 months ago.

Sure thing!