Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
20266670

I gave notice on a rental agreement in which no cancellation

Customer Question

I gave notice on a rental agreement in which no cancellation clause is stipulated. I have 40 days notice. Agent says it is my responsibility to find a new tenant. I have been transferred to another city. She is aware of this and not advertising or actively seeking new tenants. What do i do?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning

Am I correct in stating that this is a residential lease agreement?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello
Yes, it is a residential lease.
Six months into the agreement now and I have given 42 days notice prior to end Nov2016 and clearly indicated that I have been transferred by my company to relocate from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town.
My concern is that the agent is not actively seeking replacement tenants. She in fact says it is our responsibility to find replacements.I cannot afford to pay two homes and have now secured a house where we are relocating to at the end of Nov2016 in Cape Town.
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 9 months ago.

Is the end date of the contract November 2016 or is that merely the end of your notice period?