How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CaseLaw Your Own Question
CaseLaw, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1534
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
CaseLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was engaged and living together with an individual who

Customer Question

Good afternoon.
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I was engaged and living together with an individual who ended the engagement June 2015. I was dropped off at work and the individual returned to the shared residence to collect his belongings, whereafter he left.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Gauteng, South Africa.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He send emails to the rental agent stating he left and that he will not be paying accounts anymore. I did not proceed with legal action, I paid everything on my own. He is now contacting me and demanding to have his textbooks and the rest of his belongings. I had to move out in June 2015 as I could not afford that rental unit anymore. I did not and do not have any of his property. He is threatening me with legal action, saying his employer will assist him if need be and that it will not cost him a thing; he also makes reference to my savings account which he was aware of at that point in time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. I want to ask whether he has a legal stance, if he will be able to come and take my things from me and if he can claim money from me. He said that because his salary was paid into my account (which was only March, April and June 2015) he has a strong case. I paid all the bills with the joined income.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

You really need to go back to your original agreement. What was that? Was it that his salary would be paid into your account and that you would pay everything (e.g. rent, food, etc) and then give him some spending money? Or what?

He can't simply claim your entire saving account if that's what you're asking.

His BEST claim would be that you refund his salary for March April and June. But you would have a counterclaim to say that you must first deduct the expenses incurred.

Also, you would have damages since you would need to carry on paying rental even though he left.

If you have his textbooks and other stuff, my advice is to return them.

If you don't have his stuff, put it in writing and send him the letter.

I don't think that you need an attorney at the moment to assist. You should be able to write back to him to explain what I've said above, but if you do need an attorney you can find one here:

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,


Expert:  CaseLaw replied 8 months ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've NOT yet read my answer. Do you still need assistance?

If you have a further questions please can you rate my answers above as positive; and then ask further questions if you need clarity on the answer provided.